I don't know exactly how to do what I'm planning, but the gist is that I want to use google docs and diigo to have individual students reflect on a current event on a weekly basis. Like many social studies teachers I think it's important to be discussing current events and seeing how they relate to issues that we are covering in class - for example my unit on imperialism can be related to many of the problems that are being experienced in different African nations today. I want to have one or two students present their event each week, having them include an embedded video that the class can watch together, with a link using diigo to a website from which we can keep track as a class of developments related to the even in question using igoogle home pages (they will each have one). I will also require some kind of summary which could be created in the form of a blog, a video, a podcast. whatever inspires the individual student, which he/she will present to the class. By the time the semester is over we should have links to about 20 or more events occurring globally, with updated information accessible to each of the students on my class. I think I may be able to add components to this project as it progresses, but at the same time I don't want to make it intimidating to the students. I would model what I am hoping for for the first couple of weeks.
Please let me know whether this is the kind of project you are looking for, I know I will need some help especially with how to teach kids to embed video.
Andrew, Mr. "don't expect too much from my blog" - you were holding out on us. I love, love, LOVE your idea! What an awesome application of digital media to something that you already want the kids to do. You include the element of choice, current events, collaboration, AND you make it global (Alice will give you bonus points for that for sure!) Plus at the end of these presentations you will have an archive of student driven events. Very creative, well-thought out and engaging....
ReplyDeleteThis is a great idea! I love the idea of tying the information you are studying to current events. It makes the information very current and relevant. This is a very doable class project. I look forward to seeing your presentation.
ReplyDelete